I’m still pecking away at the bathroom but am down to just a few touchup tasks. The final coat of varnish, countertop paint and the port light wall just needs to be complete. Otherwise I get to rest on the bathroom project. I’ve been thinking a lot about some other projects and have tinkered on what to do next. Instead of disassembling the stove I decided to connect the fuel line and get it running just to help out with keeping the boat warm when I’m there working. The other night it was about 25 degrees and I was able to get the cabin up to 70 after killing most of the draft coming from the companionway. I was also able to make swapping out the bilge pump and switch by adding a terminal block. This kind of modification taught me that terminal blocks are most definitely the way to go over butt connectors. Primarily because it’s very easy to swap out a component such as a pump, radio or whatever without needing to cut the existing wires running to the panel but also because it’s very easy to see corrosion and remedy it when necessary.
Yesterday I took the pup and a friend up to Snow Lake at Snoqualmie Pass. Once thing we have going for us Seattle folk is the ease of getting out into the wilderness. An hour from home is a winter wonderland and although the conditions are bitter cold up there, it’s also sunny and snowy. It’s nice to embrace what we have and take advantage of the weekends for getting outside. Before my obsession with sailing I spent much of my time as an alpine climber and skier which naturally goes well with sailing. I have an arsenal of knots and understanding of rope mechanics, I have a decent understanding of weather and am not put off by remoteness or self sufficiency. The primary differences I can tell is how important it is to be mechanically inclined and be able to repair or replace anything on a sailboat without having to pay someone else to do it, aside from making a brand new sail. Even then, I’ve seen several examples of people sewing up their own sails from a kit.
Today I’m going to head down to Satori and start working on the engine. The muffler has seen better days and it seems to be the only issue with the engine right now aside from some corrosion in the seawater cooling system. Hopefully it’s a simple task to remove the old muffler and get a new one made. I am dreading getting the boat warmed up but at least it’s sunny outside and the Olympics are within view.