It’s been a month since I’ve taken Satori on the water. From my previous post you should know that the engine has been out of commission and was in need of a new oil return pipe due to corrosion over the last ten years, maybe longer. The engine cooling system is leaking saltwater all over the starboard side of the engine which has caused some issues. Fortunately I was able to get the pipe removed with the help of a friend and his blade conversion on his angle grinder. After some back and fourth with L.A. Maritime Services down in California I received the part last week and had plans to install the new parts. The only issue was that the engine mount was blocking the banjo bolt from being able to thread onto the engine properly. I tried to recruit my friend and his angle grinder last week but he decided to commit, then flake out…twice. Yesterday I broke down and bought my own angle grinder and installed the parts and also tested the engine to see if there was any oil leaking. Problem solved, no more oil leak. I did notice however that the raw water intake was leaking with a steady drip while the water pump was running and found the culprit to what has caused all of the corrosion. For now I’ll let it leak and be very careful to mitigate any more corrosion. This winter Satori gets a brand new raw water cooling system, from the strainer all the way to the exhaust. I figure if this is replaced then I can expect another decade from the engine. From what I can tell, the transmission is in good shape so it’s only a matter of mitigating leaks, corrosion and keeping up on oil changes. Next week I’ll take her out for her first trial run since she sprang a leak back in Port Townsend.
Another milestone for Satori this month was getting a new Dodger with an additional solar panel. I am now running 300 watts of solar to keep the batteries charged. The dodger is as good as it gets. The construction is absolutely amazing and the details are stunning. They did an excellent job working with me on coming up with a way to mount the panel on the top of the dodger and it looks, and works great. They even decided that the amount of rub from the sliding hatch needed to be dealt with to eliminate chafe over time so they’ll be back to trim up the edge. I was able to wire the dodger panel from the other two panels and run wiring out of the way. It’s not completely finished but it will work until I have time to secure them. In the meantime I’m getting up to 20 volts of constant electricity and have even more protection and privacy from the dodger.
In case you plan on using Iverson’s, here are the options I went with:
- 1 1/4″ tubing
- Welded top grab rail
- Welded side grab rails
- Teflon thread
- Makrolon polycarbonate windows
- Burgundy sunbrella and reinforcements
The total cost? $4630. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.
One really nice addition is they have a zipper attached to the aft edge and gave me the additional matching zipper so I can fabricate my own enclosure that attaches to the boom gallows bimini so I’m mostly enclosed while enduring really rainy weather. With the addition of this extension and weather cloths on both sides of the cockpit I should be able to cook outside and stay dry while in a really heavy downpour. My bimini top is pretty ghetto compared to the dodger but I have plans on doing some adjustments to make it more taught and more protective. For now it works great as a sun canvas and solar panel mount.
While I’ve been unable to sail, I have taken advantage of the great summer weather and spent last weekend backpacking on the western slopes of the Cascades. My friend Matt and I decided to do a trip up to the West Fork of the Foss River in search of views, water and a place to enjoy a remote night out. Sasha was able to join us on this trip and enjoyed running freely on a remote trail. It’s been a while since either of us had been on any kind of backpacking trip together. I’ve been so busy with Satori that life has shifted to sailing, while climbing, skiing and backpacking has been put on hold. After spending the weekend in the mountains, I’ve decided to spend more time on getting back to these endeavors.
It’s been almost a year since I started sailing Satori and since then a lot has changed about her, giving her a new personaility. I’ve managed to place enough trust in her to visit some far off places of the Salish Sea and have even felt the Pacific Ocean swell under her hull. Most of the projects now are better to hold off until winter, while it’s raining and I have more time on my hands. I’ll try to mitigate the leaking right now to mitigate corrosion and allow me to keep taking her out whenever I want without risking further damage.