If you’re not from Seattle then you would probably feel a bit ripped off by the weather gods by now. The skies are cloudy, sun is lost somewhere up there and some rain is in the forecast. I’m running the Dickinson stove during the day, on a June afternoon. The pup is sleeping instead of bothering me to take her fetching. This morning I also had my forward berth measured for making a brand new foam mattress with new canvas and a breathable bottom barrier. I will take some time after work and start cleaning the mildew stains and also do some painting to prepare the new mattress for installation. Fortunately I can still sleep comfortably in the settee while this is all happening. The lockers underneath will also be cleaned out and painted. I might have a chance to install some LED lighting to add some cool factor.
As you can see from the photo above, the forward berth has been long neglected and has an issue with moisture. I plan on making some modifications to allow for better air circulation and prevent mildew from coming back. Adding some fans will help out with both moisture and keeping the cabin cool.
Another project I have been wanting to complete is another canvas piece. The hatches are made entirely of teak with a thick piece of plexiglass to allow light into the cabin. There are two hatches on a Westsail 32, one forward and another right over the settee. The amount of light that enters the cabin from the top is great and when the hatches and companionway are open there is a lot of air circulation. The issue is when the sun is out and directly overhead with no wind. The cabin warms up considerably so I decided to make a hatch cover with a canvas insert to block sunlight to keep the cabin cool. Also, in the forward berth it’s nice to have less light so I can sleep in as needed.
I’m not entirely sure if the snaps will be all that is needed to prevent the insert from flying off but the snaps are pull-the-dot style which takes quite a bit of work to disconnect. I added a strap on the back side to snug the cover over the hatch. I may also add some way of connecting the cover to the hatch for high winds. Either way, it’s a nice improvement and addition to keeping things dark and cool down below.
Last Thursday I took Satori out on a sunset tour. The weather was great, with winds up to 15 knots and Satori was in great shape. As usual I had issues with getting her out of the marina. This time I tried walking her back but the bow line was too short so I had less control of her bow. Eventually she came around and we motored forward but another lesson learned and another collision with parked vessels avoided. Since my crew consisted of a vey pregnant woman and two disabled parents I treated this trip as a single handing cruise. Getting the sails up was a snap as was navigating through the shipping lanes. Later Strange Advice came out to join us on our crossing. We took lots of photos of each other and another J105 was also out and as we passed them from the west they also took some photos and later one of the crew members stopped at the boat to say hi and exchange info.