It’s purely a coincidence that I’ve been photographing the biggest stainless steel components on Satori recently. I pulled the leaky muffler and brought it into a fabricator (MFCP) to have it rebuilt brand new. The results were pretty impressive both in quality and price. $660 later I have a new muffler that should last another decade or two.
The flange was the original and they blasted it to remove the corrosion which turned out awesome. I made a minor planning mistake by delaying the gasket replacement. It’s such a minor thing and I could have someone make me one locally for about $30 or spend $10 to have one shipped from England by next week. Since I’m not going anywhere for a while I opted to spend less and wait more. So I’ll have to post the results once it’s installed. I can replace the hose while I wait and then seat it once the gasket arrives so no big deal.
Next up is the freshwater system. I’m still planning and ticking things off in parallel so I also managed to finish the holding tanks and they are now ready to be installed once more. Likely they will last another few decades as the welds look great and they pressure tested okay. The deck plates were shedding threads into the tanks and the gasket didn’t look very good either so I knew something needed to be done. Ballard Sheet Metal offered to weld stainless steel deck plates for the low price of about $2000. As much as I would love to have the tanks fully stainless I can’t justify the cost. I was also considering going with poly tanks but I think the stainless ones are in great shape and will last another few decades so I opted to to simply replace them. Hopefully the most economical choice of $65 will suffice.
After removing the deck plates I realized that they were probably sealed with a marine sealant which isn’t exactly safe for drinking but one would argue that the sealant doesn’t really make much contact with the water anyways. After a quick trip to Fisheries Supply I was able to fine the exact same ones made by Beckson. They were pretty much the exact same model as the old ones so getting them installed was really easy. I reused the same stainless screws, washers and nuts and sealed them with regular clear kitchen and bathroom silicon. Before installing them I made sure the tanks shined like new and were cleaned out. I used an oxalic acid solution and scotchbrite pads to scour the tanks inside and out so the rust is gone and everything shines again. Not bad for about $220 worth of materials and service.
I’ve spent many hours drafting the plumbing and taking inventory of parts, fittings, etc and have begun ordering parts. I wish I could show more progress but I’ve been feeling under the weather lately and the days are short. More to come later. Anyways, happy new year everyone. I’ll see you in 2014.