Satori had her first voyage in perhaps a decade or more on Sunday. It was a very busy couple of days for me as well. I hauled up pretty much everything I needed for my upcoming vacation tour around the San Juans and Gulf Islands aside from food and some remaining galley needs. It took me about 4 hours to get the new spreader end caps, sails and running rigging all back in order as well as getting the deck and cabin prepared for departure. Pulling away from the slip presented to be a pretty daunting task as there really wasn’t enough space to back out and move forward. Once underway I had the previous owner at the tiller while I raised and trimmed each sail while in irons. I learned my first thing about Satori’s sails at that particular moment. It’s nearly impossible to rails any of the sails without being in the irons as there is simply too much torque on the halyard. Once the sails were up we were moving by the wind albeit pretty slow. There was very little wind in the Semiahmoo harbor and quite a bit of drag from the hull not being cleaned.
Once we headed back to harbor the winds died completely and so I put the canvas back on the sails. A thing to note about the canvas is that when I first dropped off the sails to be serviced by Schattauer, his canvas company refused to do any cleaning or work on the old canvas. I didn’t have enough time this summer to have new ones made up so I did the best I could to get them back in order. Although they are somewhat discolored from the old algae covered version I saw when I first laid eyes on the boat, they were repaired enough to get them usable once again for long enough to buy plenty of time to get new ones made.
Once we were back into the marina, I decided that I did not want to risk collision the next day while single handing her to Blaine to be hauled out so I opted to park her on the fuel dock overnight pointing right out of the marina. I took my first hand at motor controlled steering and was surprised at how little response she had but also managed to park without issue. That night I hauled everything from my car down to the boat and got it stowed and organized. I also managed to install a new VHF radio as the old one was ancient. I chose a Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX2150 and tested it with my handheld. It was an easy installation as there was already a hanging mount and CB clip so I just snipped the old wired from the other radio and plugged them into the terminals I already had setup on the new unit. The antennae took a little work but that worked fine as well. I simply entered my MMSI number and I was up and running with getting AIS capable vessels showing up on the display. I also did a radio check with the automated radio check service in Friday Harbor and got a response back, which is more than 35 miles away so that felt reassuring for added safety. Once everything was hauled to the boat, I hung my new hammock and took a little breather before finishing the organization. Then I finally laid to rest in the pilot birth for the night.
The next morning I went up to the marina, had some breakfast and then started to install the mounting brackets for the Aries autopilot. I wasn’t able to get the last bracket mounted as it seemed to be too narrow to clear the alloy blocks so I will need to come up with a better plan to get this working on Thursday when I will finally need the autopilot installed. Around 10am the surveyor showed up to give Satori a full inspection for getting insurance. After an introduction, he spent the next 4 hours looking over the boat and asking questions about everything about Satori and her equipment. David Jackson was the inspector from Pacific Rim Marine Surveyors in Anacortes.
After the initial inspection, we shuttled his car to Walsh Marine in Blaine where Satori is hauled out and being painted at the moment. Then we took a lunch break and learned about our connections through music. It turns out that we are in the same music community and know quite a bit of the same people. He mentioned the Gipsy Gyppo String Band which was a legendary Seattle folk dance band back in the late 60’s and 70’s. Jack Link was a good friend of mine and I had the fortune of meeting Sandy Bradley and Warren Argo years ago. I was fortunate that David was generous enough to offer to help me not only motor to Blaine but also drive me back to my car after the haul out. We motored over to Blaine and backed into the crane slip and then the dock guys began bringing her up while I made sure Satori was centered and cleared the dock.
After getting Satori out of the water the guys from Walsh Marine spent the next couple of hours cleaning the hull from barnacles and seagrass. I was impressed with how much was shed from the hull and not surprised considering how slow she sailed the day before.
This evening before writing this entry, I got an email from David with a complete survey report. His turnaround was slightly more than 24 hours from when he dropped me off to emailing me the report. I was very impressed with this kind of service and thoroughness. The price was reasonable and I came out knowing everything that should be a concern moving forward. The report exposed some vulnerable parts of Satori and will allow me to make a plan to get them sorted out before setting off onto bigger waters. For now, Satori will sail just fine around the straights of the PNW and in a couple of days she will be back in the water and ready to take me around the San Juans and Gulf Islands for a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it!