Here is what I’ve learned about the requirements for the transfer of ownership documentation requirements:
- A photocopy of the Certificate of Documentation
- Vessel Bill of Sale signed by owner and buyer
- Vessel Data/Tax Use Form
- Release of Interest/Power of Attorney
Apparently I completely missed the notarized release of interest on the licensing website. No luck getting this completed this week. Maybe next week.
- CG-1258 completed and signed, including checking boxes M-2a & M-2b
- Notarized photocopy of the Certificate of Documentation signed by the original owner(s), myself and the notary public
- Credit card authorization form with authorization to charge
One the documents are all completely filled out, I then need scan the signed copies and scan the Certificate of Documentation front and back and attach to an email and finally send that to NVDC.PDF.FILING@uscg.mil. I went ahead and called the coast guard document office to confirm everything so as far as I can tell this is exactly the procedure to get the paperwork completed. The credit card authorization form is secure as long as you use a secured email server. If you have a gmail account and use a web browser to upload documents and send the email you can be assured that the attached files with all of the personally identifiable information are safe from being publicly exposed. Don’t ever send email with your PII in the body of the email. This ensures that you’re mostly secure from malicious interception through SSL.
To complete this I still need the Release of Interest/Power of Attorney sent to me from the owner after he fills it out, prints it, signs it and then has a notary public sign it. Finally I can then take the packet of documents into the licensing office and do the transfer of ownership, which includes paying taxes on the vessel. Yay!